Number of Players seems Off

Having problems with the panel? Have questions? Post here!
the1trujok3r

Number of Players seems Off

Post by the1trujok3r »

As we use the control panel more often and mostly using it for ARK or other games that support RCON I was wondering if you might include an option when choosing to restart the server regardless of players on to still alert them that a shutdown and update is happening.

Right now with ARK at least the player count always seems to be off but the query port is correct. Using another local RCON I see 0/100 players but the control panel will report 1/100 or even 4/100 at times and this causes us to never update.

So I use the force update no matter what option but then it doesn't give players any chance to log off or get ready for the shutdown. It just happens and players then wonder if there was a server crash or if services are just offline.

Is there a way to do something manually in the mean time to fix that countdown or something we can edit that would allow the server to update no matter the player could but we could script some type of message that would be sent to them at least letting them know what is going on.

Ark is pretty intense for things like flyers and what not when a forced shutdown occurs you dismount and are dropped and killed and is frustrating to players. So timed options when shutting down regardless of how the game shuts down would be nice.

This way it would allow admins to allow players time to land or log off or get safe. I also put in a feature request but wanted to expand more here in the support area as why we need the feature or fix to the query so we can get the updates on the server when no one is truly online.

Thanks for such a wonderful tool to allow server managers the ability to remotely manage servers as well as provide a great environment for hosting of them.
Friendly and Fun Gaming Community - Come Join Us! - http://BoxieGames.com
Joker - BoxieGames Owner / Founder
Masher
Site Admin

Re: Number of Players seems Off

Post by Masher »

The panel should send alerts when the server is being shutdown for an auto-update; even with always update enabled. Can you check the panel's log tool to see if there are any rcon related errors for the server in question?

For the player counts being off, the numbers displayed on the menu are cached for 1 minute to limit the impact querying the database and servers imposes. If you click the servers map/player count text it should take you to the query tool and show you up-to-date information. Does the query tool still report incorrect information? The auto-updater tool also does a query when checking for players and should be real-time when it checks.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

I checked this and when you click it does show a different number so 5 in the game on the home page but when I click on the server it shows 2. Also when it says 1 on the homepage but shows 0 when you look at details the server doesn't update still. In the logs says unable to shutdown because player count.

I believe on the force update it only allows 10 seconds. Can that be edited or do we need to wait for next release?
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Did some googling, and seems to be a common issue with ark. Players who are connecting and/or playing and then timeout still reserve a slot. Source: https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server ... issues/548

I'll update the query protocol for ark to look through the player list and subtract players with no name. This should return a valid player count. Can you pm me a ip/port you have this issue with so that I can test. I'll then send you a hotfix to test. I can increase the shutdown time for the count down until I get a proper fix in. Would 3 minutes be sufficient for now?
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
canuckbrian

Post by canuckbrian »

Masher wrote:Did some googling, and seems to be a common issue with ark. Players who are connecting and/or playing and then timeout still reserve a slot. Source: https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server ... issues/548

I'll update the query protocol for ark to look through the player list and subtract players with no name. This should return a valid player count. Can you pm me a ip/port you have this issue with so that I can test. I'll then send you a hotfix to test. I can increase the shutdown time for the count down until I get a proper fix in. Would 3 minutes be sufficient for now?
I'll 2nd this. On my Ark server if a player connects and doesn't have an updated mod, or is missing a mod, and they get booted off. The player count becomes incorrect. It's like their ghost is filling a slot still.
KillerServers.io
Killer Servers, Killer Pricing
Mauro

Post by Mauro »

Masher wrote:Did some googling, and seems to be a common issue with ark. Players who are connecting and/or playing and then timeout still reserve a slot. Source: https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server ... issues/548

That makes sense. I thought something was weird with the play count.
Last edited by Mauro on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

I've implemented a fix for the Ark player query to reflect accurate values and changed the shutdown timer to 3 minutes. Grab the package you need in the downloads area. Let me know how it works out for you.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

Masher so far player count seems correct.

Also the 3 minute timer is GREAT however one suggestion is to make the message where we can edit it and if possible have intervals when it is sent instead of sending the message 180 times. Players have complained about how it alerts every single during those 3 minutes.

My suggestion would be if you could manage to have an option to set the message you want to send and have it sent on the initial shutdown like.

1st Warning! Server will reboot for maintenance in 15 minutes. Please find a safe spot to log out.

Then at 5 minutes a reminder message:

2nd Warning! Server will reboot for maintenance in 5 minutes. Please find a safe spot to log out.

Then at 1 minute a reminder message:

Final Warning!!! Server is rebooting in 1 minute for maintenance. Log out NOW!

Then do a 10 second countdown...so

Server rebooting in 10...
Server rebooting in 9...
Server rebooting in 8...

Etc....

Something like that would be great not only for ARK but for any rcon games that would support messages and shutdown via the rcon ports.

I know for me it would be so gratefully appreciated and a most wonderful feature for all the players who play in our community.

Thanks for such an amazing program and all the time you spend developing it.

I know we've already expanded our licenses to 4 now and will be adding even more when we add more servers to our environment.

Also you might check out a new game Dark and Light that is going to be coming this year and hostable privately. Game looks amazing so far and is sure to give ARK a run for it's money.

Thanks again Masher. Much appreciated!
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Yeah the 180 second update was a quick hack. Next update will have customizable messages and won't spam every second.

I'll check out Dark and Light.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

Sounds Great Masher! Thanks again for your hard work.