Halo servers having issues on WS2012 (x64)

UGCC is an affordable web based control panel for controlling game servers. Works on Windows/Linux/BSDs.
NeX

Halo servers having issues on WS2012 (x64)

Post by NeX »

Hey,

hybrid82 and I have been using windows server 2003 via VPS with NFO to run Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Custom Edition servers. They have always run very smoothly and the AGSCP has been very efficient in its processes.

The issue is that when the VPS was updated to windows server 2012 to be more current, the Halo servers (both versions) started having issues:
All files and executables (plus arguments and parameters) are identical to the way they were on the 2003 server, but there is a distinct difference - if the servers are opened manually on the server via Remote Desktop or SSH they will work fine. The game loads the files, then the server starts and activity is reported as it happens, just as it always has been. However, when the servers are opened using the AGSCP, the servers seem to open fine, until it gets to the point where the server is opened and activity starts. At this point, the server freezes, and begins to use >50% CPU (Xeon 3.75Ghz). An average Halo server should take up maybe 2% if it's at 16/16 on a very sophisticated map.

Minecraft and TS3 still work like a dream, but something about the new system is preventing the AGSCP from opening these servers effectively. Here is what I have tried so far in the way of troubleshooting:

- Reinstalled all pertinent Halo servers and extensions.
- Reinstalled the EzUGCC
- Set all Halo servers to run as administrator with compatibility mode for XP (it's an aged game, but again it works fine when run manually even without compatibility)
- Set the UGCC executables to have administrator access
- Checked and double-checked all ports and firewall settings (but again, they work fine manually, the only variable here is the UGCC)

At this point I'm not sure what the issue could be, but something in the way that the executable is being run via the UGCC on WS2012 is having some funky problems. I'm completely open to the possibility that I'm doing something idiotic and wrong here, but I can't think of what it was, since everything worked fine on 2003 with the UGCC, and everything still works fine if run without the UGCC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is there a way to link a PayPal account to the UGCC payments panel directly?

NeX
Masher
Site Admin

Re: Halo servers having issues on WS2012 (x64)

Post by Masher »

That's odd. There's two things I can think of trying.

Disable the windows firewall all together and then test to see if the server starts. If it does, re-enable the windows firewall and manually add a port based firewall rule.

Second, check to ensure none of the executables, dlls, etc. are 'blocked'. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=412

Let me know how it turns out.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
NeX

Re: Halo servers having issues on WS2012 (x64)

Post by NeX »

In the interrim, having heard a lot of things from NFO about the instability of 2012, we switched down to 2008 RS, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the quick reply though!

I will update here if there are any further issues