[Solved] SteamCMD Alternate update issue/questions

Having problems with the panel? Have questions? Post here!
Reason

[Solved] SteamCMD Alternate update issue/questions

Post by Reason »

This is the first time I've tried using UGCC to update a game server with but I've had issues and have questions.

What I'd like:
UGCC to run my SteamCMD batch file which I use not only for the initial game server install but also every subsequent update every time I restart the server manually, it crashes, the server auto-restart daily specified time, or automatically. Apparently, this has been do-able with non-valve games in UGCC for a while now with the .acf file? My SteamCMD batch file looks like this:

Code: Select all

SET STEAMCMD="D:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe"
%STEAMCMD% +login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
My Problem(s)
In UGCC under the "Update Tool" tab, there's a field labeled "Update executable+" but the description states, "Enter the full path and executable name here (including file extension)" ... what's confusing is that I don't know whether you meant the SteamCMD.exe file path or the game servers .exe file path? I've tried both with commands in the "Update command line+" field.

Our setup:
- Install: EzUGG
- DB: sqlite (I assume so at least, it's whatever EzUGCC installs)
- Game: Squad
- Nothing found in the event viewer or the UGCC logs

What I've tried:
#1. I made sure to read your Auto Update System post as well as your Using Valve's Update Tools with the Panel.

#2. I further searched the forums for the keywords "SteamCMD", "Update", and more. I've read this post in which you replied with the following:
Masher wrote:You have 2 options.
1.) Make sure -autoupdate is in the command line and update on crash is enabled.
2.) Remove -autoupdate argument, uncheck update on crash, and enable alternate auto updater.
Option 2 would be the route I'd go.
... Although, I'm wasn't clear if you meant to add "-autoupdate" to the "Command line arguments +" under the "Executable" Tab but just in case, I tried it with and without in my tests #3-#5 listed below.

#3. SteamCMD short
Update executable+ field: D:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe
Auto update (alternate method): ✔
Run update after server crash/halt: ✔
Update command line+ field:

SET STEAMCMD="+login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
as well as

+login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
#4. SteamCMD long
Update executable+ field: D:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe

SET STEAMCMD="D:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe"
%STEAMCMD% +login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
#5. Game server .exe
Update executable+ field: D:\Servers\squad\Squad\Binaries\Win64\SquadServer.exe

SET STEAMCMD="+login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
as well as

+login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 -validate +exit
Lastly
Regardless of my settings tried above, every time I would manually restart the server, it would just come back online immediately and of course not updated because it was restarted too quickly. I also waited about 5-10 minutes more than the minimum 20 min time for the auto-check for updates, twice but the server never reset.

...I've clearly missed something and any help would be greatly appreciated! :?
Last edited by Reason on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Masher
Site Admin

Re: SteamCMD Alternate update issue/questions

Post by Masher »

Heading into work, sorry for quick reply.

Not sure if squad supports -autoupdate.

Go with #4, command line should be

Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Reason

Post by Reason »

Unfortunately, those numbers are what I've tried so far and I posted them in that format for your convenience based on the support forum rules. I'm not clear on which filepath\executable to specify and I'd like to get this set up for all SteamCMD servers (Valve and non-Valve) but I'm in no rush. It shows a lot of dedication and consideration that you replied so early before starting your day and I do appreciate it!
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

If you're using the latest version, use %SteamCMD% as the update executable.

Remove the validate (only necessary for first install):

+login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 +exit

That should work, if it doesn't please provide any error messages or output you get.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Reason

Post by Reason »

First of all, thank you!
I got it working with your advice by doing the following:
Update executable+: D:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe
Update command line+: %SteamCMD% +login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\Servers\squad +app_update 403240 +exit

...Once those settings were applied, I stopped the server, went to Edit server, ran the Update server tool, it updated and then started the server.

However, when I simply stopped the server after applying those settings and started the server, it immediately started the server without running the update. So my question is, if I have the "Run update after server crash/halt" checked, when does it check for an update or how long do I have to wait for UGCC to launch SteamCMD Update in the background? My hope was that steam update would launch every time I click to start the server. This way, I'd simply have to click stop then immediately click start, walk away, and come back in 2-5 minutes with the server updated and running? If that can't be done then oh well, first world problems and such but I'm curious if that's a possibility instead of having to drill down to the update? IF it's not possible then would you please consider adding a link to the "Update" page in the Blue Key button on the server list page amongst the "Edit Server, Logs, Files, and Manage this server" links, and a stop server button on the update server page itself?
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

The update after crash/halt only occurs when the server actually crashes (ie not stopped via the panel). When the monitor restarts the server it'll manually do an update then.

The alternate update feature will automatically check for updates and run the update tool.

A link for the update tool should appear in the drop down for each server on the server list. I think allow users to update has to be enabled though.

I'll add a stop server button to the update page.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
Reason

Post by Reason »

Thank you Masher per usual for the clarification and I've renamed the thread title to include "[Solved]"